Did you know your used Christmas tree can be installed on the beach to recreate lost dunes from erosion & hurricane destruction, as well as create habitats for beach critters?! It’s true! Starting January 1st, we will collect Christmas Trees to deliver to our Coastal Office in Wilmington working with the local Surfrider Foundation to install your Christmas trees on NC beaches & create an environment for dunes to rebuild & habitats to flourish. I think we can agree, one of the best things about living in Cary is easy access to the mountains & beaches, so how poignant for trees grown in the NC Mountains, displayed in the Triangle, then placed on a NC beach to rebuild the dunes! Here's how you can help us by donating your tree …
This is one of our favorite service projects of the year and we encourage the community to join us! Just a couple of tips & tricks to make things run smoothly...
- DO tell your neighbors! The more, the merrier & the more dunes we can rebuild!
- DO remove all ornaments, garland, tinsel, etc.
- DO follow drop off instructions that will be clearly posted at the drop off area. Please stay within the roped off area.
- If you are requesting a pick up, DON'T put your tree out until after your trash day the week prior to your pick up day.
- If you would like to volunteer and have a truck, just let us know and we can put you to work collecting trees :) Even a simple gesture of bringing your neighbor's tree with yours to the drop off, helps us tremendously!